Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for kneading and dusting)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water (room temperature)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (lard, or butter, softened)
- In a food processor, combine 2 cups of flour and the salt. Add the lard or butter if using and drizzle in the water.
If you are using olive oil, combine the oil and water and drizzle it in. Process until the dough comes together and forms a ball.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead several times until the dough is smooth. Form into a ball, cover
with a towel and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet, griddle, or frying pan over medium heat.
- Divide the dough into eight portions and roll into balls.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten the ball and use a rolling pin to roll each ball into an 8 to 9-inch circle.
- Sprinkle with flour as needed to prevent sticking.
In the preheated skillet, cook tortillas over medium heat for about 30 to 45 seconds on each side or until you see some light brown spots and the tortilla is puffy.
- Transfer the tortillas to a plate and cover with a clean towel to keep warm. Yield: 8 tortillas.